Tuesday, January 10, 2012

I was reading a devotional last night that made the distinction between the kind of Christian God wants us to be compared to the model Christian we have in our heads and that we keep striving to be. I wonder how we can tell the difference.

The devotional claimed that our own perceptions of who we should be can interfere with who God really wants us to be. Surely God doesn't want less of me than I want myself, right? Then, what does He want?

I know prayer is the answer to figuring that out and aligning my vision with His, but it's a curious thing to think about, that I may be modeling myself after a vision that I have created.

1 comment:

Mike said...

That is a great question. Sometimes I wonder how we build these perceptions and how to gain a proper perspective. I'm reading a book called "The God You Can Know" which talks a lot about God's plan of design for his creations - designed to get everything out of the way of loving him. So is anything distracting? Making us selfish? Making us "turn inward" into our own lives instead of outward to pouring into others? These may be a good place to start!