Friday, August 26, 2011

Friendships

I was reading My Utmost For His Highest (MUFHH) last week, and this is what stood out to me: "Our Lord never dictated demands to His Father, and neither are we to make demands on God. We are here to submit to His will so that He may work through us what He wants. Once we realize this, He will make us broken bread and poured-out wine with which to feed and nourish others."

It made me think back to a couple of friendships I had in highschool and college where I felt like all I did was sit and listen to these girls tell me all the bad things they were involved in--drugs, sex, you name it. I didn't feel like their friendships were bringing anything to my life; they were just using me as a confessional.

But now I think that God was using me as broken bread and poured-out wine. I was His representative, and it's not important what those girls were giving to me. I had other friends and relationships in which I was nourished.

Now I wish I had handled those relationships differently. It's so easy to say, "this friendship is not working or fulfilling. There are other fish in the sea!" Now I know that I have a role to play too and that I should stick around to see what God wants of me.

1 comment:

Mike said...

that isn't easy though.

To be used as broken bread and poured out wine feels like - being used. And the emotional drain that goes along with it kind of leaves you feeling unfulfilled.

That is a really important concept though, that God calls us to this. That he doesn't just call us to what is comfortable or makes us feel good.

I have similar hindsight as you - but don't be too hard on yourself because our breaking process is also a learning process, and you probably impacted them at the time more than you know!