Friday, September 9, 2011

The Blessings of Hardship

Oswald Chambers, in reference to Romans 8:35, "Who shall separate us from the love of Christ?" responds, "I feel sorry for the Christian who doesn't have something in the circumstances of his life that he wishes were not there."

Sounds crazy, doesn't it? But his point is that without tribulation, there is no reason to rely on Christ like we should. No matter how perfect someone's life seems, there is always something that they are struggling with, and maybe this is why.

For me, it's the anxiety. There are better times and worse times, but I feel like it's the burden that I have to bear in this life. But then again, I question myself and ask, "Am I being unfaithful by not trusting that God will heal me?" Am I being unfaithful or faithful? I think that I'll bear it as a burden and try to see it as a blessing in some way as long as it troubles me, but I also plan to keep hope that one day God will deliver me from it.

Faith is crazy, in a wonderful way, I guess.

1 comment:

Mike said...

Faith does seem crazy, by our realm of understanding at least.

That quote is interesting. Goes along with 'you don't really know what you have until you lose it.' But I think perspective comes in many forms. Anxiety is defined as fear of the unknown. I've thought a lot on that as I get anxious at times too. But I guess one thing that has stood out lately, especially just returning from Estonia, is that the less life is about me, what I want, or my perceptions of 'need in m life,' the less anxious I am. Thank Jesus for taking our burden. All we have to do is let him.