Saturday, September 3, 2011

Jesus is the end of the law. What about the Jews?

A profound quiet time I had on the morning that i am leaving for my mission trip to Estonia. These verses gave me even more clarity as to the purpose of this trip and the deep need for the word of Christ and the path to salvation that comes only through Him. (I am just now getting to post this 2 days later, and it is even more true!)

Romans 10:1

"Brothers, my heart's desire and prayer to God for the Israelites is that they may be saved. For I can testify about them that they are zealous for God, but their zeal is not based on knowledge. Since they did not know the righteousness that comes from God and sought to establish their own, they did not submit to Gods righteousness. Christ is the end of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes."

This verse directly speaks of Jews, and the Israelites' effort to seek righteousness through observance of the law. Paul speaks that the only way to earn salvation is by living perfectly. This is possible for no man or woman. Thus we come to the 'end' of the law which is Christ Jesus, whom God sent to 1. Fulfill the purpose and goal of the law (he lived a sinless life) and 2. Be the termination of the law in that by comparison to Christ the law is powerless to save.

This is an exciting and convicting message as we must strive to live for Christ, but also share this work with our brothers who are in the dark.

1 comment:

Julie Pond said...

It's a relief, and yet we spend so much time trying to be good with the purpose of "earning" something from God. What a joke.

It's like when I complain that I don't want someone to do something for me because they feel like they have to. I want them to want to do it. We have to strive for goodness because we want to please God, not because we feel guilty or nervous in our relationship with Him.

Why do we get this wrong so often?