Monday, October 31, 2011

Scattering the Church

The missions pastor at our church gave an interesting sermon a couple of weeks ago that I really liked. He referred to Acts 8:1-8 to discuss how the Christian church was scattered after facing persecution in Jerusalem. God used this event to further his church by using the scattered Christians as missionaries to other lands: "Those who had been scattered preached the word wherever they went" (Acts 8: 4).

God purposefully scatters us for use in different places, and I thought that applied to both Michael and me. Michael was sent to Estonia, and I was sent to Normal, Illinois. Even when it seems like there are other reasons for having to be away from the family (like school), God may have a very different purpose in mind. I like thinking that God sent me here because he needed ME for a specific spiritual purpose in this town. I hope I can make Him proud.

1 comment:

Mike said...

Great angle on that passage from Acts. And that's true, we should never purport to know His plans for us based on where we want to live or do - maybe he is trying to scatter us if he would let him. I'm sure you and JD are making him proud being out there. My trip has really opened my eyes to what is meaningful in life and what I spend most of my waking hours doing - I think God has plans for me that I do not yet fully comprehend as far as where/what he will call me to do..